Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chemical-Crustables


Okay now:  how many of you Moms (and Dads) are guilty of this UnCrustable sin?  It’s just plain heinous, I tell ya!

The first time my daughter (who was six at the time) asked me to buy these because her cousins had them, I thought, “ok, sure”…I was just glad there was something that she liked that I could pack in her lunch, and hey, I didn’t have to make it, right?  (so I was naïve then; it was pre-nutrition education, alright?!)  So when I got to the market and turned the box over---HOLY CRAP!!  I counted at least 40 ingredients.  That’s right, I said “Fuggedaboutit!” 

So for Olivia to save face at school, I had to get a little creative:  I got our “good” bread, you know the kind that doesn’t have all the crap in it; the “good” jelly (ditto) and the “good” pb…cut the bread into rounds with a round cookie cutter, slapped the pb&j in the middle, pressed the two pieces together and used a fork to “crimp and seal” the edges (like you would a pie).  TA-DA!

It was a little ghetto, but those other six-year-olds didn’t have a clue…and Momma could sleep at night knowing that I wasn’t  servin’ up a Chemical-Crustable to a six-year-old!  

Thanks for reading,
Judith

"Planting your nutrition seed for the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment